Friday, 12 July 2013

The Wedding Dress Question

Specifically, what to do with my wedding dress now?



I know it's only been a few months since we got hitched, but my wedding dress is starting to get on my nerves. It's hanging in our already over-stuffed wardrobe, taking up room, and I'm not really sure why. I know some people have their dress carefully stored away, but I can't really see the point in that, to be honest. I don't have any daughters who might want it, and I wouldn't like anyone to feel pressured into wearing my dress rather than choosing their own anyway. So what to do?

My first thought was to have it dyed so I could wear it again. It is knee length after all. But where am I realistically going to wear a satin dress, of any colour? We don't exactly have invites to cocktail parties coming in thick and fast (or at all) and I'm not sure I'll fit into it in the future. So that's out.

I could donate it, but I got a pretty big stain on the top half when I spilled a drink down myself, and I haven't had it cleaned, so I don't think it's the best idea. Besides, I kinda want to keep it, in some way. I've heard of some people turning their dress into a quilt, and I think I like that idea, although I haven't tried quilting and I'm not sure what I would do with it. It might make a nice gift for the first grandchild. I signed up for a how to class on making an heirloom quilt on The Amazings website, so I could, in theory, do it. It was made with vintage fabrics in the first place, and I love the golden yellow brocade, so it would be nice to give them another lease of life. I could frame it in some way, or part of it, at least, but I'm not sure it's interesting enough for that!

If anyone out there has been married, what did you do with your dress? Anyone have any super creative ideas? Ideally, I'd like it to be some kind of keepsake, to remind us of the big day, but I'm also pretty keen on everything having a purpose and decorative pillows etc aren't really up my street. I'm fine with cutting into it (or I will be fine, eventually!) so all ideas are welcome!

6 comments:

  1. I will celebrate my fifth wedding anniversary this year, and I'm ashamed to say my dress has never been cleaned and is stuffed in the wardrobe in my son's bedroom. Like you, I have no idea what to do with it. It was horrifically expensive and my mum bought it, so I feel awful that I've just left it there gathering creases and covered in fake tan (it rubbed off under my arms!), but I'm now too embarrassed to take it to a dry cleaners - and have you seen how much it costs to get a wedding dress cleaned? At LEAST £100! So, sorry I can't help, but I do share your pain.

    Dying it sounds like a nice idea - could you then wear it to someone else's wedding as a guest? How would the middle waistband cope with being dyed though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cost of getting it cleaned is shocking, isn't it! Mine wasn't terribly expensive, but it still seems a bit of a waste to do nothing with it. I wondered about how I could dye it without ruining the waistband and so far I've come up with no ideas :(

      Delete
  2. I made my dress in a simple style ...meant to dye it ...never did ....boxed it away because I couldn't bear to throw it away. Moved the box from wardrobe to attic after about 10 years ...removed it from the attic after another 25 years ..plus... when I was clearing out to move ....finally threw it away.
    I love the idea of you quiltng with the material ....maybe a small pillow case for the bed ...or a decrative one to put away as a 'Ring Pillow' for the boys to use at their weddings ....if they want to. I would box it away for a while until you are sure. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decorative pillows just aren't our style at all really, especially not in satin! I thought about doing a hexagonal pathwork pattern with the satin and brocade and maybe Steve's tie, and then putting that in a box frame, rather than having it quilted.

      Delete
    2. Now that a great idea ...and a bit of the boys tie too maybe. xx.
      .

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete