I made this a few months ago, and never blogged about it, so to fill time between now and when I get actually sewing again, here it is!
This blouse is obviously the ever popular Sorbetto from Colette. It was a free download and seems like a solid wardrobe staple. I committed a pretty common sin here, and I did it knowingly - that's right, I sewed a garment in quilting cotton! Well, I say quilting cotton, but it was never actually described as such. I bought this fabric, plus a load of other superhero themed prints, from an eBay seller ages ago, with the sole intention of turning it into accessories for my Etsy store. And I certainly have a made a ton of wallets, purses and pencil cases from it. Thing is, I have a huge amount left, so figured I'd give the Sorbetto a go in it, as a kind of wearable muslin if nothing else.
It's 100% cotton, and is pretty stiff and heavy as cottons go, so it's clearly craft or quilting fabric. It was easy to work with, and the Sorbetto is a straight forward pattern to sew up. I cut a size 14, but it gapes at the arm holes and back and is a bit snug around the hips, so when I make it again, I think I'll grade it from a 12 at the bust to a 16 at the hips. I added 2 inches to the length, but for me, I think it could do with another inch or so. As I've mentioned before, I feel far more comfortable in long tops that cover my mummy tummy, and this doesn't quite do that.
I took the easy way out, when it became apparent that this wouldn't be a totally wearable garment, and finished the neck and arms with pre-made red bias binding. I have yet to make my own binding tape, but that's definitely something I'm going to start doing from now on. The pre-made stuff is stiff and scratchy, and doesn't make for a very comfortable top. If I'm honest, this top will probably be harvested for fabric to turn into more purses and iPod covers, as it kind of looks and feels more like pyjamas, but not comfortable ones. But at least it gave me a trial run at the Sorbetto, and allowed me to figure out what adjustments need to be made to future versions. So that's a win in my book!
While I'd like to turn more superhero themed fabrics into clothing to satisfy my geeky tendencies, the fact is that there aren't many fabrics available that aren't more suited for quilting, or low quality sheeting. I will certainly keep my eyes peeled, but I'll probably have to find more creative ways of channelling my favourite characters in my clothes! :)