Saturday, 30 March 2013

Shopping Spree!

Thanks to my very generous mother-in-law and sisters-in-law, I got some vouchers to spend at Minerva Crafts for my recent birthday. So of course I blew it all on fabric (and a few buttons.)

I took the opportunity to get a mix of things I really needed for specific projects I had in mind, and to try a few things I might not normally buy. This resulted in a certain amount of hit and miss, but more hit than miss. In fact, only one of the fabrics was a let down, which is good innings when you're buying fabric blind online!

First, I got some excellent quality wine coloured corduroy, to turn into the Kelly skirt. Yes, I may be shamelessly copying one of the photos on the pattern page, but when I was a teen, I searched endlessly for a cord skirt in this colour that wasn't mini. Needless to say I never found it. So now's my chance to make that dream come true! (It looks more red in this photo, but it is definitely wine.)

Next is some black broderie anglaise (which looks grey here, but isn't) for my second picnic blanket skirt, now that I've made my peace with the first one and realised that a less generous waist measurement will work better. The holes are quite large in this, so I'll probably wear a slip with it. In fact, I'm considering making several simple slips in basic colours to wear with my skirts, rather than lining each one individually. It just seems easier. I had originally intended to get red buttons for this skirt, but I figured it'd be much more versatile with white. Unfortunately, the buttons haven't arrived yet as they weren't in stock, so I'll share those when they get here.

 I also got this vintage print cotton, which I'm hoping to use for my first Wiksten Tova. I'm not 100% set on this, as I worry about the drape a bit, but I'll give it a go and see how I get on. I just think it's the kind of print that would look lovely with jeans.

 The second printed cotton I went for was a bit of a surprise. I expected it to have a white or cream background, going from the photos on the website, but as you can see below, it's actually more beige. I have yet to decide what to use this for, but have some ideas brewing. Ideally, I think it would be better used together with a plain colour in a top. I was thinking of maybe Deer and Doe's new top pattern, the Datura, with the yoke with cut outs in turquoise cotton and the bottom of the blouse in this print. Or vice versa. Again, though, that'd be something I'd have to give some more thought.


I also bought some plain white cotton lawn for lining, that really isn't worth photographing. Similarly the button I bought to replace the one my cat chewed on my first picnic blanket skirt.

And so we come to the disappointing purchase. I got this green sheer voile, with an eye to make another Mathilde blouse with sheer sleeves and a lined bodice. Unfortunately, this fabric looked much more delicate on the website than it is in reality. It's quite coarse and the floral pattern has a raised scratchy feel of acrylic paint. To be honest, from a distance, it looks okay, but close up, it's just not something I can imagine wearing, at least not as a blouse. It was in the clearance section, so it wasn't very expensive, and I don't mind adding it to my stash until inspiration hits. Maybe it'll be good for costuming. Or maybe someone can give me some suggestions?


It's much greener than it appears in this photo btw. Apparently my comeuppance for bad mouthing my other half's camera skills is the inability to take a halfway decent picture myself.

So while I'm eager to get cracking on, maybe with the Tova or a new skirt, I have to set all this aside for the time being. School holidays mean I wouldn't get much sewing done anyway, but I'm now in full pre packing mode (which is, as the title suggests, preparing to pack, by doing mountains of laundry!) But I'll have something to look forward to when I get back. I also plan to make Pattern Runway's gathered sundress, and have already printed, taped and adjusted the pattern and made a wearable muslin, of sorts - shock! So maybe I'll have that to share if I find the time in the next few days.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you will have loads of fun ....I like both the tops you intend to make.Funny about the sale material ...maybe the fact it is rough is why its in the sale but I am sure you will use it well no matter when.Glad yu had fun spending. xx

    ReplyDelete