Saturday, 2 March 2013

Linen Hollyburn Skirt

I think I've probably mentioned before how much I love Tasia's patterns - I mean, they're just perfect for my body shape and her instructions are always super easy to follow. So of course it was a no brainer that I picked up the Hollyburn skirt pattern. Skirts that fit at the waist and flare at the hips are the ample bottomed girl's best friend!


So here it is in all it's wrinkly crinkly linen glory! It was a breeze to put together. I cut a 14, which is my usual size in Sewaholic patterns and it need no adjustments at all. I was originally going to cut view A, which is a shorter skirt, but I've been feeling recently that knee length is more my style, so in the end I went for B, which includes super cute tab and button detailing at the waist. (It actually sits just at the bottom of my knee.)

Things went a bit wrong at the waistband. When I folded over the facing to the inside, it wasn't quite as long as the outer waistband, so I had to stitch further up to keep it in place. You can kind of see the row of stitching in the photo below, but in reality, the stitching and fabric match so well that you'd never notice. It is the kind of niggling little thing that I wish I'd taken more time to do properly, instead of being lazy and impatient. Something to take on board for next time.


Apologies for the poor photography. I thought my skills with the camera were rock bottom, but Mister Beardface, my soon to be hubby, manages to sink a little deeper than that.





Once again, I got to indulge in some pretty buttons, though these are purely for show and don't actually work.

So, am I happy with it? I'd love to say 100% yes, and in most of the ways that matter (fit, construction) I'm really pleased. The thing that lets this little skirt down though is the fabric. I didn't realise until I started working with it that this is the kind of fabric which simply attracts dust and fluff. It doesn't feel static-y to wear, it just seems to collect all the cat hair and carpet fluff lurking around my house. Investing in a lint roller will fix that though. It fits perfectly and it goes with most things in my wardrobe, so on that front, it's a success.


Would I make it again? Most definitely yes. I might take a stab at the short length, but this length works so well for me, I can see myself making a few more in different fabrics and prints. I'm also planning to use the belt loop detail from the longer view on a future skirt.

How much did it cost? Well, a little more than most of my recent projects, but a lot less than buying a similar skirt in a shop which I'd probably have to compromise on in regards to fit and length.

Pattern - £12.95 (I'd like to leave out this cost, since it will go down with repeated use, but there it is for now)
Fabric - £19.98
Thread and interfacing came from my stash, as always.
Buttons - £2 (pricey for two buttons, but so pretty!)
Total - 34.93

I know that seems pretty high, but if you take off the cost of the pattern, which I'm always tempted to do, it's actually quite reasonable for what will surely be a wardrobe staple.

2 comments:

  1. Your skirt looks terrific! I've not used any of Tasia's patterns before but I do like to get pattern ideas. I've got a dress in a similar navy linen and the lint roller works an absolute treat - especially as we have white cats! P.S. LOVE the buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your skirt looks great, I have been tempted by that pattern, I might have to buy it now :)

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete