I took the opportunity to get a mix of things I really needed for specific projects I had in mind, and to try a few things I might not normally buy. This resulted in a certain amount of hit and miss, but more hit than miss. In fact, only one of the fabrics was a let down, which is good innings when you're buying fabric blind online!
First, I got some excellent quality wine coloured corduroy, to turn into the Kelly skirt. Yes, I may be shamelessly copying one of the photos on the pattern page, but when I was a teen, I searched endlessly for a cord skirt in this colour that wasn't mini. Needless to say I never found it. So now's my chance to make that dream come true! (It looks more red in this photo, but it is definitely wine.)
Datura, with the yoke with cut outs in turquoise cotton and the bottom of the blouse in this print. Or vice versa. Again, though, that'd be something I'd have to give some more thought.
I also bought some plain white cotton lawn for lining, that really isn't worth photographing. Similarly the button I bought to replace the one my cat chewed on my first picnic blanket skirt.
And so we come to the disappointing purchase. I got this green sheer voile, with an eye to make another Mathilde blouse with sheer sleeves and a lined bodice. Unfortunately, this fabric looked much more delicate on the website than it is in reality. It's quite coarse and the floral pattern has a raised scratchy feel of acrylic paint. To be honest, from a distance, it looks okay, but close up, it's just not something I can imagine wearing, at least not as a blouse. It was in the clearance section, so it wasn't very expensive, and I don't mind adding it to my stash until inspiration hits. Maybe it'll be good for costuming. Or maybe someone can give me some suggestions?
It's much greener than it appears in this photo btw. Apparently my comeuppance for bad mouthing my other half's camera skills is the inability to take a halfway decent picture myself.
So while I'm eager to get cracking on, maybe with the Tova or a new skirt, I have to set all this aside for the time being. School holidays mean I wouldn't get much sewing done anyway, but I'm now in full pre packing mode (which is, as the title suggests, preparing to pack, by doing mountains of laundry!) But I'll have something to look forward to when I get back. I also plan to make Pattern Runway's gathered sundress, and have already printed, taped and adjusted the pattern and made a wearable muslin, of sorts - shock! So maybe I'll have that to share if I find the time in the next few days.