If you aren't already aware of it, the pattern for this blouse can be bought from Tilly and the Buttons for £7. It's the kind of pattern you print at home, which for some reason, is always an ordeal for me. But it does mean I could get started straight away, and since I have somewhat of a reputation for impatience, this suits me just fine. I followed Tilly's advice and opted for a plain fabric which would show off the lovely tucks better. I'd never sewn tucks before (I don't think the front fold on the Sorbetto really counts) so I took it slowly, and I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. This was in no small part down to Tilly's excellent online instructions for the blouse, which made it a cinch to make, even for the most disaster prone of sewists, like myself.
Please excuse the poor ironing job here. I was all set to take lovely photos when I'd just finished sewing and everything was pressed to perfection, but then I spilled soup down my front, because apparently I can't work a spoon, and it had to go in the wash. One hasty going over with the iron later, and here we are. The wash did reveal an issue with my lazy 'finished' edges on the neck lining, which I'd simply used pinking shears on. I'll probably need to zig zag stitch them in the near future as they frayed ever so slightly.
The fabric was described in the store as linen look cotton, which basically means it's 100% cotton with a texture that's meant to look like linen (I'm sure your powers of deduction allowed you to figure that one out.) It's actually pretty soft and cosy too. I didn't adjust the pattern, for a variety of reasons. Although I like my tops to be at least two inches longer than this (all the better to cover my mummy tummy) I felt I would need to add to much width to the hips to allow it to cover my backside without pulling on the buttons (which it's already doing to a certain extent as you can see below.)
|Look how neatly the top of the back lines up! I never thought I'd be the type to actually get everything even and straight!|
In all honesty, it would've been a simple enough adjustment to make, but I didn't want to mess with the pattern too much the first time around. Maybe next time I'll add length and an extra button.
Which brings me to the question of whether I'd make this top again. It's a definite yes. I'd like to give it a go in cotton lawn or voile, and while I whole heartedly agree that plain fabric really highlights the beautiful detail of the tucks, I'm thinking I might like to try a contrasting yoke in a lovely complimentary patterned fabric. I'd also maybe reduce the puffiness of the sleeves a little.
|Pretty pretty buttons.|
All in all, Mathilde is a hit in my book. The beautiful details make it just a little bit more special than your average make and it allows me to indulge in my obsession with lovely buttons (these little beauties cost 40p each in Remnant Kings - a bargain!) The finished blouse is a great addition to my wardrobe and the first item I've made that is properly wearable everyday while still being absolutely gorgeous. It's also the make I'm most proud of - so thank you Tilly!
And finally, down to the brass tacks. How much did it cost. Let's do the sums.
Pattern - £7
Fabric - £10 ( only £4.99 a metre - an absolute steal!)
Buttons - £2.80
Thread and interfacing came from my stash.
Total - £19.80
Considering the pattern will be used again, I think that's a great price. I've got my eye on Tilly's picnic blanket skirt pattern which I'll hopefully get to work on after I've made some headway with the wedding stuff.