Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Wedding DIY

 Despite the sheer volume of stuff needing done, the wedding DIY is on hold for the moment. Mostly because I'm working on a custom order for the Etsy store that's kicking my ass, but also because we're a bit stressed at the moment, what with kittens, and Jake's upcoming surgery, and holiday plans to deal with. But before all that, we actually did get quite a bit done.



There are 148 colourful paper birdies in that bag but since the photo was taken, we've gotten up to 226. We were actually making quite good progress on them - this lot were done while I watched back to back episodes of Upstairs Downstairs. But then we hit a problem. We didn't know how to hang them. Originally we wanted a cascade of cranes hanging from the ceiling behind us when we got married, but the venue wouldn't allow us to hang things from the ceiling. So then we thought about stringing them inside a folding screen, where the paper parts would normally be. But that was looking to be expensive, plus a logistical nightmare, what with the wedding being in Ireland. Also, it wasn't really the same effect. So we looked at other things - a wedding arch, pipe and drape event screening, all sorts. But nothing really clicked. Until yesterday.

I'm not a huge fan of balloons at weddings. I don't know why, I just don't like the look. But I've made a compromise on this point - no, we won't be having balloon centrepieces. I haven't compromised that much. Instead, we're going to get coloured matte balloons, fill them with helium, string the cranes from them, and let them float up to the ceiling. Then we'll tie them to weights at the bottom, and hey presto! Our cascade of cranes! The ceilings in the hotel are pretty standard, so it won't be super high. I'm pretty pleased with myself for coming up with that - I'm sure it's been done before and whatnot, but I was totally drawing a blank. And now the crane folding can continue!

We also folded 30 ish cranes in old sheet music, sort of as a tribute to the people who won't be there. Namely the boyfriend's Dad and my paternal grandparents, who were all very musical people. It seemed fitting.



Other than that, there's a ton of wedding crafts to be getting on with - we did mock ups of the hand-made invites, and they totally rock. But I'm a bit worried that they won't go down too well with some of the more traditional members of the family. There's also the small matter of fifty million paper roses to make (okay, not that many, but it feels like it!)


That's what a box of paper roses looks like. As you can tell, we're not going for any specific colours. We're not really having a colour scheme as such, so I'm opting for complementary colours as far as possible. I have no idea how many I'll need but I have tons of paper so eventually I'll stop :) In fact, this is the project I'm most itching to get on with, so I can mock up a few centrepieces to work out how many flowers I'll need - and I haven't even chosen the paper for my bouquet!

Anyway, that's as far as we've gotten. Things will be pretty quiet around here for a while. Jake has facial surgery on the 4th of July and we're understandably worried about that. I'll be sure to update you all on how he gets on.

3 comments:

  1. I love the balloon idea. As soon as you mentioned it, I saw it and thought beautiful. If you need help with the cranes, let me know since I can make them in my sleep. Also have you tried origami lotuses? They are my current favorites. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking I might need to put out an SOS in a few months to get people to help fold cranes! I'll let you know if we do. I think it might be cool actually to include some cranes made by family and friends :)
      I haven't tried lotuses. Are they difficult to make? Anything made from paper gets quickly ruined in our house - the cranes have to be safely stashed away where little hands can't get at them!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful idea to have the 'musical' cranes ... you can always leave instuctions for 'makes' when I 'cat sit' in August.xx

    ReplyDelete