Friday, 3 February 2012

The Joy of a Good Fabric Store

One of my pet peeves is when I am shopping online for fabric, and find a print I really love, only to find that the reasonable price is actually for a fat quarter and not a full metre or yard. This is one of the main reasons why I have used old superhero sheets for a lot of my sewing jobs, as they are tons cheaper, and when lined properly, work just as well as heavier fabrics. Plus, they seem to have the widest range of interesting motifs. However, on my latest search for sheets to use for upcoming projects, I came away empty handed, so I decided, just on the off chance, to have a look at new fabrics on eBay. I was looking specifically for superhero motifs, and that can be surprisingly tricky to find in the UK.

As per usual, there were endless listings of cute fabrics which were £4-5 for a fat quarter - prices that I'm just not willing to pay. Finally though, a listing caught my eye, that promised fabric 'sold by the yard.' And lo and behold, I found the most amazing fabric seller I've yet come across on eBay. Though situated in the US, The Pirate's Royal Bootie have great international shipping prices (up to 12 yards can be sent to Europe for under $17) and a fantastic range of printed cotton. I was there for the DC Super Friends prints, and also got some Transformers and Toy Story for the kids, but I spotted Snoopy, Disney Princesses, Hello Kitty, High School Musical and countless other branded, and non branded fabrics, most for under £5 a yard! I can't think of a single physical fabric shop in Glasgow that could match those prices. And for any quilters out there, the store also stocks a great range of panels.

I seriously recommend you check this store out - it only took a week for my fabric to arrive, beating some UK sellers, and Elizabeth, who runs the eBay store, is just lovely - a total pleasure to deal with and makes the shopping experience so easy. Considering that I've had a run of bad luck with eBay sellers recently, she restored my faith in ordering from overseas. I've ordered from her twice now, and she will be my first stop when I need fabric in the future. Check out my haul. This is just the first batch of fabrics I bought - the second batch is basically just more of these prints.


 I originally only bought 1 yard each of the Transformers and Buzz Lightyear fabrics, with vague ideas of adding them to my ever growing stash of boy friendly kids fabrics. But when the twins saw them, they thought they were totally awesome, and I've decided to make them little bean bag chairs, so I've ordered more.



I also bought two cute batman prints, which I'm going to turn into bunting. Because if there's one thing the Dark Knight loves, it's festive party decor. I've ordered a lot more of the darker print, which I may also turn into a skirt.


And finally, I got a yard each of these cute super friends prints, featuring Superman and Green Lantern. As yet, they have no pressing purpose, but I'm sure I'll think of something soon.

As soon as I've finished some projects I'll share them here. And remember, go visit The Pirate's Royal Bootie and just try not to spend a fortune on fabrics!

EDIT: Check out the comments for a postage discount for my readers from the lovely Elizabeth!

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU for introducing me to your readers, Emma! It is an honor and a blessing to be able to serve you all! To celebrate new friendships, I invite everyone to enjoy shopping... and save $3.00 off their postage, just like Emma does... hooray! Yes... ship 12 to 14 yards of regular cotton fabric for only $13.99 postage! Just mention the magic name: EMMA! Thanks again! Hugs! My very best to you all... Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete