Friday, 25 November 2011

Operation Christmas Crafts: The First Wave

My Christmas crafting has begun in earnest. I've already started sewing up the lovely festive alphabet wall panel that my nana gave me, although I've had to abandon any plans to pad it, as I simply can't get the knack of sewing wadding :(

I have, however, cut the fabric for a table runner for my dining table. The sewing up will be interesting, as I decided to try my own method rather than following a pattern, and despite my fondness for maths, I found working out the measurements for the edging a bit fraught. Experienced pattern drafters out there may think I'm daft, but trying to remember to include seam allowances seemed to be more than I could manage. Anyway, photos may follow depending on my level of success. I'm also sewing over 50 bunting flags (and that's just the kids stuff!) for both the boys' nursery classroom and their bedroom. I'm making strands of about 15 flags each, and here is my first one.


I know that's only 8 - some of the flags are behind the door. I made them with the gingerbread man fabric on one side, and the green and gold stripe on the other, and then just alternated them. I sewed them onto green satin bias binding tape (22mm) that I got on eBay really cheaply and I think it looks suitably festive. The flags are slightly bigger than my Halloween bunting as I had plenty of fabric. You can follow my bunting tutorial here if you'd like to have a go at making your own.

In other festive news, I've decided to make Christmas cookies and snickerdoodles for the nursery teachers, as I was pretty much going to buy them a box of fancy biscuits anyway, and as I already had all the ingredients, it works out cheaper to bake them myself. Only time will tell how much I will regret this as I'm not the keenest of bakers. I tried a batch of snickerdoodles last night, as I've never made them before. Here is the result.


They seemed okay, although I'm not sure about the taste. They taste vaguely familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it. However, I discovered that I used baking powder instead of bicarbonate of soda and that they are not, despite my protests, the same thing. So I'll be trying them again tonight to see if using the right ingredients gives better results.

Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Love the banner ...maybe you could make us some for next year.
    I have never heard of those snickerdoodles???? ... and yes there is a difference ...well sort of ...BP is Bi-carb plus Cream of tartre....you may have invented a new delight. I used marg instead of butter in a cookie recipe and then used the right ingredients ...hey presto two different cookies both yummy ???

    ReplyDelete