Thursday, 5 May 2011

New Stash and Design Thinking

Sorry for the long absence - it's been deadlines a-go-go here. But now that all that stuff is done and dusted, I can get back into my various projects without feeling guilty. The cross stitching continues, with the Justice League on hold for a while (because I made a gigantic cock up and can't quite face unpicking all those stitches just yet) and the Avengers is almost done. Several other projects are lined up, the first of which will probably involve this awesome material I received today.


I got this bundle of FQs with a gift voucher for Seamstar given to me for my birthday by my lovely sisters-in-law, Jay and Vicki. It was difficult not to spend a fortune in one mad spending spree! The fabrics are beautiful. Though I think I may have found the elusive fabric that'll make the perfect matching dress for my shoes - if I ever decide to buy it, you'll be the first to know. Maybe next month.

I'm going to use these to make my needle roll and a few other little bits if there is any left. Here's a few of my favourites from the bundle.





I especially love the clock print - it is also available in yellow and blue, and I'm thinking it would make a lovely shirt or summer dress. So many plans!

And speaking of other plans - a few months back I brainstormed some dress designs based on some of the women of the DC universe. Super dorky, I know. But I thought, what if you're going to a convention, and you don't want to go in full-on cosplay, but a superhero T and jeans seems too lazy? That's how I came up with a few dresses that channel the essence of certain characters without being obviously 'comic book'. I hope. Now, I'm no good with a pencil and I coloured this sketch using a computer program I'm not familiar with, so it's pretty basic, but you get the idea.


The Harleen Dress
 I'll explain what you're seeing. The dress above is based on the villian Harley Quinn, whose civilian name is Dr. Harleen Quinzel (hence the name of the dress). She looks like this.

So, I tried to incorporate as much of her character as possible and that included the iconic colour scheme and diamond patterning. I adapted the jester's collar into something more simple and wearable, and peaking out the bottom of the skirt will be an inch or so of black and red harlequin patterned lining. I wanted the whole thing to have a kind of girlish niavete, which is something Harley often conveys, so that is why I ended up with a dress that's quite demure and has the faintest hint of a school uniform about it. I think the end result is subtle enough that it's comic influences aren't overpowering.

This dress will eventually get made, when I have the time and have had enough practice. But in the meantime it's another project on my ever growing to-do list :)

1 comment:

  1. WOW I love that material but especially the clock one... as for the dresses WOW again ...are you sure you shouldn't have done design instead of literature xx

    ReplyDelete