Sunday, 22 May 2011

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It's two toddlers in homemade capes!

Apologies for the long silence. Things have been obscenely busy here. I seem to be fighting against the unending tide of mess in this house as I'm still trying to find homes for all the stuff that was displaced by the recent decorating and room switching fun. Also, there have been a slew of little household mysteries recently. Like where exactly did all the forks go and just what is that weird smell by the back door? If I ever solve them I'll let you know.

Despite all this I did manage to start two new projects on my sewing machine and finish one of them. I promised my sons I would make them capes so that was a priority. I picked up some red satin pretty cheaply and improvised a cape pattern. I was originally going to do something that was gathered at the neck with ribbon ties, in a style reminiscent of classic Superman. But, after thinking about how likely it was that my sons would strangle each other with said ties, I opted for an oversized neck opening fastened with a large button.

These capes are by no means perfect. I ran them up quickly, with very little precision, because Ben and Jake are at that age where they seem to have a stubborn destructive streak. So I didn't want to pour hours into making perfect little capes that would just be destroyed within minutes. Also, I've discovered that I hate working with satin. Too slippery. So when they are old enough to appreciate it properly, I will make them lovely cotton capes, with yellow lining and their own superhero motif on them. But that's a few years away yet.

It was difficult to get shots of these capes, to be honest, as the boys seem to have an aversion to standing still for too long. They are also wearing Thor helmets that the boyfriend wonder bought for them, making him the coolest dad around.

And just so you know, they look a lot less scruffy these days. Still scruffy, of course, because that seems to be their default setting, but they've had smart new haircuts and look a little neater now.

Hopefully I'll be back during the week with some photos of the skirt I'm working on. Fingers crossed for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment